Financial Criminal Team
The Financial Criminal Team (FCT) proactively investigates suspected proceeds of crime (including money laundering and fraud) offences that may have been committed in the Bailiwick of Guernsey. The FCT looks at the conduct of active institutions and, through a targeting process, investigate accordingly.
The FCT receive Letters of Request (LOR) from outside jurisdictions requesting evidence to assist with a case in their country. The FCT will then investigate the case further and, in close co-operation with the Law Officers, will draft whichever orders are required by the LOR to be served on the local institution. They will then forward the evidence gathered to the requesting jurisdiction. If the court case is successful within the requesting jurisdiction, any proceeds of crime identified in the Bailiwick of Guernsey will then be confiscated and some of the funds will remain in the seized assets fund locally.
Investigation Officers also proactively investigate individuals/entities which are believed to be benefitting from criminal conduct locally. These Officers will create an informational case file on these individuals/entities and when enough background work has been done, they will take executive action. They will compose an evidential case file which will be used by the Law Officers in the trial in court.
Objectives of the Financial Criminal Team:
- To maximise the amount of criminal funds that are confiscated;
- To recognise the targets of the GBA and try to meet them;
- To consider harm reduction whilst meeting Court deadlines;
- To identify criminal investigations that cannot be proceeded criminally for referral for other avenues of forfeiture;
- To increasing the number of financial crime prosecutions referred;
- The identification of money laundering offences or other financial crime in all work undertaken by the FIU,
- To continue to develop, through self motivation and improve knowledge and understanding in relation to financial crime, through resources available;
- To comply with global anti-money laundering recommendations by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), Moneyval and the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
Financial Investigation UnitOzanne Hall, Mignot Plateau, Cornet Street, St Peter Port, GY1 1LF, Guernsey
Tel: 44 (0)1481 714081 Fax: 44 (0)1481 710466